Tuesday, July 31, 2012

B&A TV Stand

We have had this tv stand for probably about 4 years now. We found it in Tyler's parents garage and decided to keep it since it is solid wood. I have always wanted to refinish it but never got around to it. Wow, looking back at it I can't believe I waited so long. It looked pretty terrible. I forgot to take a true before picture so this is after I had already sanded part of one door. (By hand, whew.)


Nicks, nicks, everywhere. This thing has seen better days. 





I stained the front of both doors and used the same stain I used on the chairs, Sunbleached. It was so much work to sand the doors down to the bare wood that I decided to just match the stain to a paint and paint the rest. I am glad I did because I think it actually looks better, like a little two toned. I used Valspar Montepiler Ashlar Gray.



I wanted to add some color so I painted the inside a yellow called Bugle Call. Then I covered one shelf with wrapping paper. 



I love these knobs. I got them at Hobby Lobby for 50% off. They totally change the look.  This picture does not do them justice, unfortunately.


I was able to sand out a lot of the nicks and scratches with an electric sander. I also distressed the doors a little bit to add dimension because they looked a little flat. We finished it all off with polyurethane (because this piece gets a lot of use) and WALLAH! It looks SO MUCH BETTER! Like I said, I can't believe I waited so long to do this project. I am glad it is over though. This is one heavy chunk of wood.

1 comment:

  1. Kiley come teach me how to do that to a book shelf, and how to make Brad's computer desk look good.

    ReplyDelete