Monday, May 28, 2012

B&A-Sewing Cabinet #2

This sewing cabinet was my mom's but there is no sewing machine in it now. We have used it as an entry table for about 4 years now. I have always wanted to paint it for obvious reasons. The sides and top are veneer while the legs are wood. This project actually ended up being so simple. I can't believe it took me so long to do it. It literally was done within a few hours and I really like how it turned out.

My friend McKaye told me about a blog with tips on how to refinish furniture on the cheap. There is a recipe on there for chalk paint (not to be confused with chalkboard paint). If you have some furniture to refinish I highly recommend checking it out. It has changed my life. It is so inexpensive and makes painting furniture much more enjoyable.

 Definitely needs some work


  I bought a Valspar paint sample (8 oz.) for $2.94 at Lowes and I had more then enough paint left over for a couple little projects. I used Lyndhurst Duchess Blue because it matches my pillows perfectly. 


I distressed the top and sides slightly as well as the corners of the legs. I did not bother staining the legs although I am sure it would look good to do so. I just thought they looked pretty decent as is. 



All taped off and ready for a second coat. 
 Taking painting tape off is one of my favorite parts. I love to see the clean edges! I use frog tape and it works so much better then the blue stuff. It is definitely worth the extra buck.



No comments:

Post a Comment